Texas Wesleyan University
All international students are required to waive or enroll Texas Wesleyan University Student Health Insurance Plan. Students holding comparable coverage may be eligible to waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
To be eligible for a waiver of enrollment in the Texas Wesleyan University Student Health Insurance Plan, the University requires that students provide evidence of other comparable health coverage. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of this request will be sent to your email within seven business days.
Waiver requests MUST be submitted no later than January 17, 2019, to be considered.
International students must meet the following minimum requirements:
A. Criteria to submit waiver
1. Student is sponsored by the United States government.
2. Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States, and they guarantee payment of all health care expenses. Covered health plan must be compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
3. Student is enrolled in an US employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA.
4. Student is covered by a health insurance plan offered through the Affordable Care Act insurance exchange.
5. Accident Insurance & Travel plans will not be accepted.
B. The alternative coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Policy provides the essential minimum benefits required by the ACA.
2. Policy annual individual deductible of no more than U.S. $500. (Except for employer plans)
3. Policy contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
4. Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
5. Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
6. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
7. Dates of coverage meet or exceed the requirements for the policy year.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, submit electronic copies of the following documents with your online waiver request:
1. A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member.
2. A scanned copy of your complete policy, including coverage amounts, exclusions, and limitations in English using US dollars.
3. A scanned copy of your medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Click Here to Waive or Enroll